Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Hounds Tooth @ RelicBrewing Review

























    The Hounds Tooth @RelicBrewing, no matter how you view it, this beer is absolutely, deliciously complex! Relic Brewing is located in Plainville, CT, my hometown! I have to admit, being from Plainville, I had very high expectations for this beer. Taken from PlainvilleCT.com:
"Plainville, originally part of Farmington, was first settled about 1657 and incorporated as a separate town in July 1869. The name developed about 1830 from an earlier reference to the areas as the “Great Plain.”  The Town had a population of 1,433 in the first census taken after its incorporation (1870)." Ironically enough, a Mild Ale is the first home-brew I ever attempted to brew, though my beer was nowhere as complex as this beauty.
  
  Hounds Tooth, an English Dark Mild Ale, poured a thick, deep and dark brown color with hidden accents of amber around the edges. Poured into a Dogfish chalice the beer had a thick and creamy head that was tan in color.  


 The nose was absolutely yummy! Notes of candy, caramel, maybe even a hint of black licorice, all combining to shape a very complex nose with a lot of substance and aromas. 


 On the palate, Hounds Tooth displays a light and fruity, dark fruit, yet creamy taste. The very complex nose is matched with a very complex flavor profile, yet the beer sustains an absolutely smooth and lingering mouth-feel of dark fruit on the tongue. Raisin lingers at the tip of the tongue with flavors of fig all abound. 

 What a treat this beer is! I'm so thankful this is the first beer I've tried from my hometown. (well, ...other than mine.) With such a pleasant taste I would definitely recommend this beer to everyone, and I would absolutely purchase this beer again. Really looking forward to trying this one on draft, and enjoying in the colder months. 
  

1 comment:

  1. I love houndstooth, it was the first they poured me, and I had seconds, and then a growler haha. Its not a style I see often, if ever at all. I fell in love with it. I was getting a lot of chocolate taste on my palate. Great beer, from a great brewery. Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete