Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sea Hag @NewEnglandBrew Review



 Well then.

I recently revisited a New England brew, under the urging of the CT Beer Pope (@Willowbrookbeer), that I actually had avoided for quite some time. I'm such a huge fan of these guys, from the Imperial Stout Trooper and Ghandi Bot, all the way to the Elm City Lager (which has been MIA lately). However; the one thorn on the rose was always the Sea Hag. I just couldn't get into this beer.

Oh how this beer has changed tho!

The beer poured a beautiful golden, amber body into a Dogfish Chalice. It contained excellent carbonation
with fine, tiny bubbles emerging through the golden/amber haziness.

The nose contained layers and layers of hop notes. It was a pungent hop aroma that contained pine and citrus tones, with a light hint of tangerine underneath it all.

The hops rush to the side of the mouth and linger on the sides of the tongue. Well-balanced by a nice, light, malty background this beer tastes excellent.

This is definitely not the Sea Hag I  remember, what a great job they did on this beer. This has instantly become one of my favorite CT beers. I vividly remember wanting to like this beer so bad, but it just wasn't on par with their other amazing beers. The Hag has been reborn! I am actually going to recommend this beer much more when people are looking to try a good CT beer. This is an excellent, easy-drinking IPA. I like that there is a lot of hop to it, but it's restrained enough to be a very drinkable beer.

This beer has a great nose, it's so complex that it's a sin not to be whisped away by the aroma before every single sip. The Hag's flavor dances about your mouth as well, and  for the price, this six-pack is a steal! I know NEBCO's other beers have always been more sought after, but I think the perception of this beer is going to change, and people will change their view of the Sea Hag, as I have changed mine. I would definitely enjoy the Sea Hag again, and I would absolutely recommend this beer.

1 comment:

  1. That's what I'm saying dude! Sea Hag is great now! NEBCO just can't do any wrong in my book. Really glad you revisited this beer and great review! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete